09 March 2011

Petewong.net > Contents > Review: F&V Z96 LED video light

Review: F&V Z96 LED video light

I have read so much about this LED light so I thought I should go get a set. LED technology have come a long way and I am surprised by the brightness emitted by the 96 LEDs on this product.

The casing is quite solid but I find the battery compartment a bit hard to open. I get around this problem by using a letter-opener to pry it open. I guess maybe it's still new and needs to be seasoned.

One of the features of the Z96 is that you can buy several units and "snap" them together like LEGO for greater light output. I can imagine one can get three or four of these and form a "strip lighting" effect for studio portraiture.

The reason why I got the Z96 is not so much for video. I use a Canon 5D MkII which is notorious for poor auto-focus especially in low-lighting conditions. I can now use the Z96 to light up my subject and help the camera focus better. Because it's light, I can use one hand to hold the camera and another hand to hold the Z96.

Pros
1. Light and portable
2. Needs only five AA batteries
3. Low power consumption and can last for hours
4. Can also use as camping lights besides video and stills
5. Inexpensive at only around US$80 - 90.
6. Can "snap on" a few units for greater output

Cons
1. Not a substitute for regular camera flash as the colour temperature is still not close to daylight
2. Light creates a greenish cast typical of LED lighting. Would have been good if they provided another "minus green" filter to compensate for the colour cast
3. The battery compartment and the "snap-on" hinges could be smoother