23 January 2011

The Ritz-Carlton KL & Spa Village

Petewong.net > Contents > The Ritz-Carlton KL

Text & Photos: Pete Wong

I was recently invited to stay at The Ritz-Carlton Kuala Lumpur and wasn't expecting much as I had heard some not-so-favourable feedback from fellow media colleagues about poor service at a certain five-star hotel around the area.

Well, The Ritz sets itself apart, I was soon to discover. Their location is off the main strip of Jalan Bukit Bintang, the heart of the shopping district in downtown Kuala Lumpur. You have to keep your eyes peeled to follow the direction signs leading to the hotel. When I finally found my way to the drive-in lobby, I was told the parking lift was out-of-service so I had to pass my car keys to the valet attendant. Not a problem at all, as valet parking is free for guests.

I was met on arrival by Oliver Ellerton, a young man from Britain, who was the PR executive. After the formalities and check-in, I was ushered to my room on the 17th floor which looks more like an apartment. Oliver brought me on a tour of the hotel which offers 3- and 5-bedroom suites as well, mainly for visiting celebrities, I was told.

My room on the 17th floor. 
One of the 5-room penthouses. 
Li Yen Chinese Restaurant at The Ritz.

That evening, I took a 10-minute walk to the nearby Lot 10 Hutong, which I had heard so much about. Lot 10 Hutong is the brainchild of YTL Group MD who thought it would be good to bring together a selection of KL's best street stalls and have them operate in an air-conditioned food court at the basement of the newly refurbished Lot 10 shopping mall. I tried the "roast duck drumstick rice" which was quite good but at RM15.70 (US$5.20), it's more than double the price of the same thing at a real street stall. That's the price to pay for convenience, I guess. I didn't have time to try the rest but will do so when I visit again.

Entrance to Lot 10 Hutong.
Inside Lot 10 Hutong aka Heritage Food Village.
Bukit Bintang, the heart of KL's shopping district.

The next day, I was booked for a session at the Spa Village for their Jet Lag Therapy, created to revive an exhausted body and mind after the rigours of a long flight.

The treatment involves a lengthy full-body Malay massage followed by a steam bath whose herbs and scents are hand-picked and designed to replenish and rejuvenate.

The massage starts with the feet and calves and working up to the back, arms and finally a gentle head massage. The long kneading strokes are designed to increase the blood circulation that is reduced during the many hours spent seated on an aircraft. Furthermore, the pressures that are applied help to ease the muscle aches and joint pains. The types of oils used are different for males and females. Males enjoy the aromas of Minyak Pasak Bumi – coconut oil, cloves, Aloeswood – while the females indulge in the scents of Minyak Kebayan – coconut oil, Aloeswood, Eucalyptus oil and the Malay flowers of Melati and Kesidang.

After the pressures and strokes of the massage, the guest will then move into the steam bath. Infused with such herbs and spices as Betle Leaves, Vetiver, Sandalwood and Rose Water among others, the steam reduces swelling and induces relaxation helping the guest to sleep even better in the plush feather pillows and duvets of the king beds at The Ritz-Carlton, Kuala Lumpur.

An oasis of calm in the vibrant heart of Malaysia’s capital city, Spa Village Kuala Lumpur could not be further from the cramped, artificial cocoon of an airliner. The lush plants, outdoor sunken baths, hot spas, cool dipping pools and landscaped gardens create the perfect environment to re-set the body-clock to local time and rejuvenate, ready for a day of meetings or afternoon sightseeing with the family.

When I went in, I was suffering from lower back pain due to long hours hunched over the computer. After the session, it seems all my aches miraculously disappeared. I was fortunate to have Noi, the only Thai out of the team of 9 therapists working there. Noi has been with the Spa for close to 9 years.

The Spa Village Jet Lag Therapy is priced at RM348++ and takes approximately 2 hours. For further information and reservations, visit www.spavillage.com.

YTL Group owns the building and runs the Spa Village while Ritz-Carlton manages hotel operations.

Here's a nice corporate video from The Ritz Carlton that I enjoyed watching:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW70hBP5cIc

All rights reserved © Pete Wong

No comments:

Post a Comment